Saturday, June 27, 2009

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go...

Last summer, I did something awesome: volunteered at a local dinner theater with a bunch of my friends. I was in two shows, worked tech for one show, waited tables for tips and had an awesome time. I also was flat broke by the end of the summer.

So, this summer I decided to try something different, something completely new for me! I got a "real job." On June 12, I officially became a Walgreens service clerk. I have learned a lot in the past three weeks, and I would like to share a few little nuggets of this wisdom.

1. Every day has the potential to be "one of those days."
I never really understood what "one of those days" meant until I started working. Then I realized that EVERY DAY is just "one of those days." It's that phrase you say when you really don't want to talk about it, not necessarily because the day was bad, but because either too much or too little happened to really be worth the effort of telling someone. In my case, it's normally too little.

2. Creativity is a must.
When it's 8:30 and the store is completely empty, you've refolded every t-shirt in sight and your OCD tendencies are completely satisfied, it's an awesome feeling. Until you realize that you're stuck there until 10 anyways. This requires some creativity because if you don't find something to do, you will go crazy. I personally like straightening the Hallmark aisle; I get so many good ideas in that aisle. I also convert the time remaining in my shift to seconds (it takes longer because I do it in my head). If you have any other suggestions, I'm always looking for new ones!

3. Get used to being asked how old you are.
I've been asked twice. Once because the lady wanted to set me up with a guy she knew (he was 17; it would have never worked). Once because someone couldn't believe that I actually knew who Farrah Fawcett was. I'm sure it will happen plenty more.

4. One never really gets used to selling tobacco.
This is probably the worst part of my job. I hate tobacco. I can't even really stand the smell of it, which is bad since my register is right in front of the cigarette display (I chew Orbit Crystal Mint gum. The mint flavor is so strong, it dulls my sense of smell and helps me better tolerate it). And furthermore, I know nothing about cigarettes, pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, or any of the accompanying paraphernelia. It's almost like a game trying to find the certain brand of cigarette that the customer wants.
But it's really sad, too. One lady came in today and bought cough drops with her soft pack. When I have asked customers to help me find a product because I don't know what it looks like or where it is, many tell me how good it is that I'm not a smoker. Some even sound regretful that they use tobacco. I told my mother about the first time I sold a pack of cigarettes, and she gave me some wise advice: pray for them. So now, I pray over those cigarettes sitting behind me. I feel like maybe I've sold less since starting that tradition.

5. Optimism is a wonderful gift.
I don't think I could work at this job if I were a pessimist. I make too many mistakes and see too many hurting people (it is a pharmacy, after all). I've had quite a few people come through my line who came by on the way home from the emergency room or hospital. I've heard some sad stories, just in the past few weeks. But the only thing I can do is smile and encourage them that things will get better. Sometimes I feel like just listening to them helps. So I'll keep on smiling and telling people to "have a good evening!" as they walk out the door. I may never know it, but I pray that simple act of kindness helps someone somehow.

I've learned a lot from having a real job. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's quite serious. And though I hope that running a cash register is not my future career, I know that I'll carry these lessons throughout my life.

And, yeah, having a job has greatly put a dent in my "summer fun" from time to time, but I don't really regret my decision. But, I'd better stop writing now and get some sleep; gotta go to work in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment