Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bless those who persecute you...

When I sit down to write on this blog, it is usually because something has been constantly filling my brain for hours (sometimes days) at a time. I actually sat down to write this blog yesterday and had to walk away because I just wasn't ready. Here's hoping I can do it justice this time around.

My mind has been overwhelmed lately with the various reactions I have seen to the alleged attacks against American Christians (mostly political in nature).  I say alleged simply because I do not know enough about the situations to make legitimate assessments. I noticed the reactions of one particular gentleman who I follow on various social media sites because he and I are alumni of the same university.

In studying the reactions of him and his followers to the political actions of recent days, I noticed a trend. Indignation, entitlement, and sometimes even pure malice filled many of the posts. It made my heart ache to read so much anger from people who openly said they held their opinions because they were Christians. It just didn't seem right.

I started mulling over it in my head. No matter how I tried to analyze it, my mind kept returning to the same thing: a Bible verse about blessing those that persecute you.


Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.  -Romans 12:14-18
For the past two days, I've read that passage of Scripture and wondered what the social media posts of Christians would look like if we applied that to politics and other adverse situations. I feel like some people would say we can't do that in this world because we would be run over and we'd have no rights. But does that change what that verse says?

Forgive me for leaving this at a broad ending, but I think it best to not go into specific examples or specific action steps. After all, it is mine but to muse. I'd much rather leave an open-ended challenge for each of you to meditate on how we are commanded to act toward others and evaluate your own reactions. There is a difference between righteous indignation and some of the hate I've seen spewing from so many people lately, and regretfully I must include myself in that.

I am learning more and more the importance of remembering that no matter how differently a person believes, he or she is still a person. Those that you consider your enemies are still made in the image of God; they are a part of God's wonderful creation. They are fearfully and wonderfully made just as you are. Especially for those of us who openly value the sanctity of human life, it is imperative to remember to extend that value and worth to all living on this earth.

Do you have to agree with their lifestyles or their political convictions? No. But that does not give you call to toss names back at them when they criticize you. It was Jesus who taught to turn the other cheek.

It is so hard, I admit. Goodness knows that I am guilty, too. When we feel wronged, we want revenge. We want to return it an eye for an eye. But I'm reminded even more this election season that we are called to more than that. I'm not a political person, but that doesn't mean I don't need to be careful in the words I release into this world.

So it is with a humble heart and trodden-on toes that I hang my head in prayer and say, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."

No comments:

Post a Comment