Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

I've never really understood how the martyrdom of a saint became a holiday where we buy all of our loved ones copious amounts of flowers, chocolates and heart-shaped antacids that say "Hug Me." But I suppose that stranger things have happened (*cough* Resurrection Sunday and the Easter bunny *cough*).

It is no secret to anyone who has known me for more than a year that I honestly have never liked Valentine's Day. Even in elementary school when we passed out little paper cards and had parties, all the holiday ever did for me was remind me that I was not the popular kid, that I didn't buy the valentines that everyone else thought were cool and that love in this world was full of nasty strings.

One could easily say that I hated Valentine's Day with a relentless passion (slightly ironic, but very truthful), but I guess everything must end eventually. Here I am on February 14, 2011, surprised and yet relieved that I can say that my hatred is gone.

Oh, I'm still very single. I'm still not popular. And I didn't buy a single gift for anyone this year. So what changed?
I have realized that even though I'm one half short of a couple, I still have all the love I need. God proves His amazing love to me countless times each day. And with each passing day, I fall more and more in love with Him.

What caused this realization? I'll save you the details, but I had what I like to call an "Oh, God" moment today. God revealed one of His blessings on my life to me in such a way that I would not have been happier if someone had gotten me a diamond ring. In a way, God gave me a Valentine's Day present, and it just meant so much to me. God knows exactly what I need and when I need it, if only I will trust Him.

For the rest of the day, I walked around almost giddy for all the joy I had in the Lord and His great blessings in my life. No Valentines, no chocolate, no romantic date with anyone. Just me and Jesus. And it was an awesome day.

So why should I act begrudgingly when I see a couple holding hands or exchanging gifts on this day? The King of the Universe is, was, and will forever be my Valentine.

In the words of a trending topic on Twitter: #thatslove.

No comments:

Post a Comment