Friday, August 28, 2009

Finding forgiveness in faith

I have read the Gospel of Luke countless times in my life, but tonight I noticed something that I had never really taken note of before: after Jesus tells the disciples that they are to forgive without limit, they automatically ask not how to accomplish such a feat of forgiveness, but rather how to increase their faith.

Perhaps the realization is slow in coming for me, but it amazes me how intrinsically related faith and forgiveness really are. One cannot forgive without faith. But one must have the right kind of faith: a faith in God. For if we forgive in faith of our human selves or counterparts, we shall surely be disappointed.

As humans, we do not have the capacity for perfection. Nor do we have the ability to forgive if we are trusting in ourselves or others to enact that forgiveness.

It's so simple, yet so wonderful! We "forgive as the Lord forgave you," and the forgiveness of God is based in God's greatness, not in our capacity to act upon it! So why do we as humans feel like when we forgive others that they are then responsible for maintaining that forgiveness?

I am such a foolish girl for ever thinking that anything in my life is rooted in this world. When I gave my life to God, He took everything. But sometimes He lets me feel like I still have control of some things, just so that when I realize He's had it all along, I can simply let go and rejoice in the awesomeness of my God.

I feel like I am now living in the freedom of forgiveness because I truly understand that when I forgive someone, it's not my forgiveness at all that I bestow. My forgiveness means nothing; it is human and will pass away like a vapor in the wind. But my Father's forgiveness is powerful enough to heal all wounds, and that's the forgiveness that I lean upon today.

I've always heard that forgiveness is such a powerful thing; now I truly believe it.

1 comment:

  1. You are right. I have also recently had a revelation in forgiveness. It is a wonderful and glorious and also humbling thing. Great to see others learning with me, God must be reaching out to anyone who'll listen!

    ReplyDelete